Following part 1, after visiting some places at Benzaiten Nakamise Dori (弁財天仲見世通り), we took a long escalator, which is called escar (エスカー), up towards the famous lighthouse, Enoshima Sea Candle (江ノ島展望灯台, 江ノ島シーキャンドル).
This escar is very helpful because it will only take 4 minutes for you to go to the top of the island vs. walking up a bunch of stairs for about 10 minutes or more. But if you would like to see the sceneries on the way, we would recommend walking.
The tickets are sold at the ticket counter next to the entrance of Enoshima Shrine (江島神社, Enoshima jinjya) (Japanese only).
The price of the Escar varies depending on how far up you would like to get to and there are also set tickets with other services. We have organized all the information together fo you, please see here for the details.
But to give you a brief idea, the escar ranges from 180 JPY to 360 JPY, and if you include the entrance fee for the observation deck on the lighthouse, it will be 750 JPY.
After purchasing the tickets, you can start taking the escalator heading up. If you have purchased the tickets including the entrance of the Enoshima sea candle, remember to keep your ticket till the entrance of the lighthouse. We have also bought the set ticket for the Escar + Lighthouse.
The escalator is not only one escalator going all the way to the top, you’ll have to take a few rides before getting to the top.
Because of that, you will be able to visit some places in between.
The first stop, you will be able to visit Enoshima jinjya Nakatsumiyauchi (江島神社中津宮内, Enoshima Shrine Nakatsumiyauchi) and there is the Benzaiten Ogon Jyosui (弁財天黄金浄水). The golden water (黄金浄水, Ogon Jyosui) is believed to bring health, luck, good voice, and beauty. You can wash some money here and keep the washed money safe with you for the power of the golden water to help you. To use the washed money, make sure to use it with thankfulness and at special times when it is important for you.
We only washed some coins on that day, but you would also see people washing larger bills as well.
Take some time to look around the shrine and pay your respect at the main hall.
This is the Uchide no Kozuchi , the one at Enoshima shine brings you good luck and helps your wishes come true, you just have to stroke it three times.
This red shrine, Nakatsumiya, is famous for initiating good relationships, especially for love.
That’s why you will see a lot of pink and heart shapes everywhere lol
After a few rides of the escar, you will finally reach the top of Enoshima, with the set ticket, you can enter the Garden and Lighthouse area.
This is Samuel Cocking Garden. It is located in front of the lighthouse, and you will be passing by it in order to go up the lighthouse, Enoshima Sea Candle. You can see different flowers, plants, and decorations through out the year.
And this is the famous lighthouse, Enoshima Sea Candle!! It is the symbol that represents Enoshima. In good weathers, you can even see it from Tokyo Tower and Tokyo Sky Tree’s observatory.
The Enoshima Sea Candle is a lighthouse that is still in use but at the same time opened as a tourist attraction’s observatory. Because of that, the lighthouse itself has light ups every night and the color of the light changes depending on the season; especially from late November to mid February, there are beautiful illuminations which attracts many people every year.
To go up to the observatory, you can either buy the set tickets or simply the entrance ticket on the spot. For more information please refer to here.
Don’t worry, there is an elevator for you if you don’t want to walk up the stairs 😅
This is the view from the observatory at the Enoshima Sea Candle!
It is worth the visit if you happen to come 👍🏻
Do remember to go up the short stairs from the observatory, you will be able to go outside and take some nice pictures on a nice day.
Information for Enoshima Escar
- Address: 〒251-0036, 1 Chome-4-7 Enoshima, Fujisawa, Kanagawa Prefecture 251-0036
- Access: Katase-Enoshima station (片瀬江ノ島駅), 15 minutes on foot / Enoshima station (江ノ島駅), 18 minutes on foot / Shōnan-Enoshima Station (湘南江の島駅), 20 minutes on foot
- Opening hours: 09:00 to 19:05
- Payment: Cash Only
- Fees: 360 JPY for Adults / 180 JPY for Elementary school students. For more details, please go here
- Website: Enoshima Escar (江の島エスカー) (Japanese only)
Information for Enoshima Sea Candle
- Address: 2 Chome-3-3-28 Enoshima, Fujisawa-shi, Kanagawa-ken 251-0036
- Access: Katase-Enoshima station (片瀬江ノ島駅), 20 minutes on foot / Enoshima station (江ノ島駅), 25 minutes on foot / Shōnan-Enoshima Station (湘南江の島駅), 27 minutes on foot
- Opening hours: 09:00 to 20:00 the last admission time is 19:30
- Fees: 500 JPY for Adults / 250 JPY for Elementary school students [This is including 200 JPY / Children 150 JPY for Samuel Cocking Garden + Adults 300 JPY / Children 150 JPY for fees to go up the light tower (Enoshima sea candle)]. For more details, please go here
- Website: Enoshima Sea Candle (江の島シーキャンドル) (Japanese only)
- All Images: TabiScarp