Issen-Yosyoku (壹錢洋食) have been selling local food at Gion area in Kyoto since around the 1920s ~ 1930s. The local food itself is called Issen-Yosyoku and you can choose the taste of the sauce between normal, salty-sweet, or salty-spicy.
The food itself is the “ancestor” of Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き).
The restaurant’s exterior and interior are all very retro, it is like time slipping into the Showa era (昭和時代, Showa Jidai).
And almost every table have a different mannequin with a name tag of a famous Japanese actress or idol written on there 😆
You can enjoy your meal with a beautiful lady at all times lol 👍🏻
This restaurant is very popular so it has been introduced by TV programs as well~ so depending on the time you go, you may need to wait for a while before you can get a seat.
The Issen-Yosyoku looks like this!
It is a thin savory pancake with eggs, ginger, beef, lots of green onions, and some more ingredients inside.
But the main thing that decides the taste is probably the sauce 😋
However the taste is only my personal opinion~ so you should go and try it out yourself 👍🏻
This restaurant have been popular in Gion for the past 90 years and is still often visited by local Geiko and Maiko; you may be lucky to meet one of them when visiting Issen-Yosyoku!
Also, this restaurant is available for take outs so you can bring it and enjoy it while you do some sightseeing in Kyoto~
- Address: 〒605-0073 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Higashiyama-ku, Gion Machi Kita gawa 38 (〒605-0073 京都市東山区祇園町北側238)
- Access: Keihan Main Line, Gion-Shijō station (Exit 7), 1 minute on foot / Hankyu Kyoto Main Line, Kawaramachi station (Exit 1A), 3 minutes on foot
- Opening hours: Open throughout the year ; Weekday: 11:00 to 03:00 / Sunday & Holiday: 10:30 to 22:00
- Budget: Lunch: ~1000JPY / Dinner: ~1000JPY per person
- Payment: Cash, Credit cards (Visa, Master, JCB, AMEX, Diners)
- Website: Issen-Yosyoku (壹錢洋食) (Japanese Only)
- All Images: TabiScarp