Other than the famous Meigetsu-in temple, Hasedera temple is also a famous spot to view hydrangeas in Kamakura.
At Hasedera temple you can see all kinds of different types of hydrangeas blooming in various colors. In the back of the temple, you can see a whole hill of hydrangeas✨
For the visitors to better enjoy the hydrangeas, Hasedera limits the number of people that can enter the main route for hydrangea viewing. So when there is a lot of visitors, you will receive a number ticket along with your entrance ticket.
They also have paper fans for you to use while waiting in the heat.
Hasedera also offers pamphlets in Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean.
Going up to the entrance of the main route for hydrangea viewing, you will find the main halls of Hasedera and many open areas.
At the open areas, you can see A LOT of people waiting for their turns.
There is a huge board showing the numbers and the approximately waiting time. From there you can see how long you would have to wait to enter.
While waiting you can enjoy the views from Hasedera. The temple is located on a hill so from there you can see the Kamakura city from above, along with the ocean of Yuigahama.
You can also look around the temple itself~the grounds of Hasedera is actually quite big to explore!
And a nice thing is that as long as you have your tickets and number tickets with you, you can actually go outside of Hasedera temple and return to enter the main route for hydrangea viewing👍🏻
Just remember to come back in time~
When you finally enter the main area for hydrangea viewing, you will see a magnificent view in front of you.
There are more than 40 types and about 2,500 trees of hydrangeas in Hasedera for its visitors to enjoy!
You can enjoy the hydrangeas with the ocean
And the hydrangeas with the temple.
There are so many of them that you don’t even know where you should look!
Your will probably be taking pictures non stop as well 😆
When visiting Hasedera, remember to look for the cute little buddhas as well~
They will definetly bring smiles to your face anytime 😊
Information for Hasedera (長谷寺)
- Japan, 〒248-0016 Kanagawa-ken, Kamakura-shi, Hase, 3 Chome−１１−2
- Enoden (江ノ電), Hase station, 5 minutes on foot
- Taking a bus from Kamakura station, Hasekannon station, 5 minutes on foot
- Opening hours
- March ~ September: 08:00~17:00 (Door closes at 17:30)
- October ~ February: 08:00~16:30 (Door closes at 17:00)
- Flowers’ blooming period
- Usually starts blooming in early June, it would be fully bloom during mid June to end of June
- Can be enjoyed until around mid July
- Adult (Middle-School and above): 300 JPY
- Elementary school student: 100 JPY
- Cash Only
- Hasedera (Available in Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Simplify Chinese)
- All Images: TabiScarp